Town of Webster
Minutes of the Monthly Meeting of the Town of Webster Board of Supervisors,
1. Call to Order: Chair Skip Oliphant called the monthly board meeting to order at 7:05 PM. A total of 10 people were in attendance and all board members except for Treasurer Jan Parker.
2. Pledge of Allegiance: The Board led those in attendance who chose to participate in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Proof of Posting: Clerk Yttri gave proof of proper posting of meeting and agenda.
4. Adoption of Agenda: Gordon Nemec moved to adopt the agenda with the addition of item 16.5: May 8 Special Road Meeting Report. Tim Parker seconded. Motion carried.
5. Minutes of Previous Meetings: Clerk Yttri provided copies of the lengthy minutes of the April 18 regular meeting and the minutes of the special May 8 road meeting in lieu of reading them. Tim Parker moved to approve the minutes as read, seconded by Nemec. Motion carried.
6. Review and Payment of Bills: The current checkbook balance is $48,431.90 and the monthly bills totaled $4,259.18. Nemec moved to approve the payment of bills presented, seconded by Parker. Motion carried.
7. Review Building Permits – Mike Mowery was issued a permit for a house addition.
8. Fire Number Applications – Vernon Glick applied for a fire number.
9. Review of Board of Review Alternates List: Parker moved to approve the following residents as alternates for the Board of Review: Kent Krause, Ardene Wirts, and Barb Briggs. Nemec seconded and motion carried.
10. Property Insurance Update: The Rural Insurance Agent was unable to attend this meeting, and Kathy Wong, representing Hofmeister Insurance Company, did not have her quote ready yet, so Nemec moved to stay with Rural (policy up for renewal June 1) and re-evaluate once both agents could appear before the Board. Parker seconded and motion carried.
11. Sheldon’s Asphalt Paving Bids: Nemec moved to accept Sheldon’s bid of $2,040 for the paving of the handicapped accessible parking area and for one bay of the salt storage shed. Parker seconded. Motion carried.
12. Salem Ridge Cemetery Soldiers’ Graves Reimbursement: Board members signed approval of the Salem Cemetery Association’s request to the Vernon County Clerk for reimbursement for the care of veterans’ graves for the current year.
13. Memorandum of Understanding-Handicapped Voting Equipment, Vernon County: The mandated handicapped accessible voting equipment memorandum was reviewed for the Board by Clerk Yttri. Yttri reported that the machine is ordered, and it is the responsibility of the Town to pick it up when it arrives.
14. Town-Sponsored Award Committee Report: Jack Lee and Ardene Wirts were present, and Lee reported that a total of 3 people would be participating in the contest this year. The committee will meet to select a winner, and the Board will present the award of $350 at a regular monthly meeting. The Board thanked the committee for their work.
15. Request from Vernon Communications for franchise/ordinance: Tim Parker reported on his discussion with a representative of Vernon Communications. After some discussion, the Board tabled this request as there were still some unanswered questions.
16. Viroqua Schools Request for In-Kind Donation: This request was also tabled once again due to lack of information on the type and reasons for the request.
16.5May 8 Road Meeting Report: Motions were made and approved at the special meeting to seal coat a section of Ames Road and a section behind Brush Hollow Cemetery. Other proposals which continue to be studied are for the section of Buckeye Ridge Road from Troyer’s to County D and a section of East Salem Ridge Road from County D to either Amos Mast’s or to Shane Stone’s property. Decisions will be made depending upon total cost figures.
17.Patrolmen’s Report: Shane was not present.
18.Public Input: Roseanne Boyette asked that businesses be notified when road closings due to roadwork occur. She also asked that a notation be placed in the minutes to show that she had submitted a written document expressing her view of how the burning ordinance and the driveway ordinance issues were handled. She also asked for an explanation of the change in wording at the top of the agenda from “will be put on the agenda” to “may be put on the agenda”. Clerk Yttri took full responsibility for the change, explaining that it more accurately describes current practice whereby the Chair has the discretion of adding items to the agenda. Boyette also expressed that she would like to see burning permit applications on the monthly agenda since both building and fire permits were agenda items.
19. Board Comments: Members of the Board had no additional comments this month.
20. Future Meeting Dates:
May 23 -- Open Book 2-6 PM and Board of Review 7-9 PM
June 20 – Monthly Board Meeting, 7 PM
21. Adjourn: Nemec moved to adjourn, seconded by Parker. Meeting adjourned.
Submitted by: Ole Yttri, Clerk Signature_______________________Date: May 16, 2006
E10614 State Road 82
La Farge, WI 54639
Phone: (608) 625-4568
Send Us an Email
Town of Webster
E10978 State Road 82
La Farge, WI 54639