Town of Webster
Minutes of the Monthly Meeting of the Town of Webster
Board of Supervisors
1. Call to Order: Chair Paul Bader called the monthly board meeting to order at 6:30 PM with Supervisors Daniel Arnold and John Young; Treasurer Jan Parker and Clerk Ole Yttri present. A total of 18 people were in attendance.
2. Proof of Posting: Clerk Yttri gave proof of proper posting of meeting and agenda, (two newspapers, at the four posting places, on the Town website and through email for those citizens who have signed up for email notification).
3. Adoption of Agenda: Young moved to adopt the agenda, seconded by Arnold. Motion carried.
4. Minutes of Previous Meetings: Clerk Yttri presented the minutes of the March 17, 2009 meeting. Young moved to adopt the minutes, seconded by Arnold. Motion carried.
5. Review and Payment of Bills: The current checkbook balance is $27,555.70 and the monthly bills total is $66,081.19. Clerk Yttri reported that there was a deposit of $163,613.73 from 2008 Fema work, which a check was cut and sent to Scott Construction for $163,000. Young made a motion to pay the current bills of $5,168.00 and pay Siverhus Trucking $5,000 toward his bill, seconded by Arnold. Motion carried.
6. Review Building Permits: none
7. Fire Number Applications: Donovan Smith
8. Comprehensive Planning Committee Update: Bader stated that he felt the prior Chairman, Skip Oliphant, had erred by appointing members in March when state statutes indicate it is to be done in April by the newly elected board. He then appointed Oliphant, Joe Swanson, and Terry Beck to the Committee for the three-year term, and made Beck the chair. Arnold moved to adopt the committee appointments, seconded by Young. Motion carried.
9. Transportation Committee Update: Chairman Roseanne Boyette reported that her committee is working on a 1-year and 5-year road plan would be presented to the Comprehensive Planning Committee.
10. Presentation by Sgt. Bruce Olson-Vernon County 911 Addressing System: Sgt. Bruce Olson was in attendance to discuss 911 Addressing/Fire Signage problems in N. Elk Run and La Farge Addition areas. He said that signs were out of sequence, that homes off private drives have skewed the system, and that locating some residents for an ambulance or other emergency vehicle would be extremely difficult. The town and Sgt. Olson will begin work on correcting the problem, which will mean that some property owners may be getting a new address, and that several will be required to purchase fire signs. (A summary of his report will be added to the minutes)
11. Bids for Mowing Town Hall and Mt. Zion Cemetery: The Board received bids from:
Walker Lawn Care - Town Hall $45.00 Mt. Zion Cemetery $30.00
Steve’s Lawn Care - “ “ 40.00 “ “ “ 35.00
Andy Larson - “ “ 30.00
Bader made the motion to accept Walker Lawn Care for the Mt. Zion Cemetery @ $30.00 per mowing and Andy Larson for the Town Hall/Shop area @ $30.00 per mowing, seconded by Young. Motion carried.
12. Sign Brush Hollow Cemetery Asso. Veterans’ Forms: Clerk Yttri presented forms that needed the board’s signature to be passed onto the County Clerk’s Office for financial reimbursement to the Brush Hollow Cemetery Asso.
13. Fire Department Billing: Supervisor Young discussed the issue that the town is behind reimbursing the La Farge Fire Dept. for fire calls. Clerk Yttri explained that bills are sent out to the people named on the bills if there is a correct address included, some are returned because of address issues. Town property owners are billed through the RE Tax collection process. It is est. that the town owes about $3,400 and will pay $1,500 toward this amount this month.
14. Patrolmen’s Report: Patrolmen Hysel reported that an addition storage tank for off-road fuel would not be cost efficient after his research. He stated that new fire/road sign were installed and the winter equipment was removed. Road band signs were also removed last Friday, April 17 and a load of patch/hot mix was purchased. The board will be touring the town roads on May 5.
15. Public Input: Joe Swanson stated that the annual citizenship award for a high school senior living in the town would again be given out this year and that the applications have been sent to eight schools and are due back by May 15th. Rosanne Boyette asked that the web site be updated with the newly appointed Comprehensive Planning members and asked the clerk to provide her a copy of the March 6, 2006 road weight limits recorded minutes. Sherri Yttri spoke to the board about the Pledge of Allegiance that was removed from this month’s agenda. She stated that she starts her school day with the pledge, and then asked those in attendance to follow her in reciting the pledge.
16. Board Comments: Bader questioned if a different accounting system for the town could be used and Clerk Yttri stated that he uses a simple modified Quicken Program ($30) but that he has used another programs such as QuickBooks ($300 w/yearly updates of $170). The board will look into options. Young asked about starting the meetings at 7 PM instead of 6:30 PM due to his work schedule. They approved the time change.
17. Future Meeting Dates:
April 24 & 25 Large Item Clean-Up Days, 9 AM – 3 PM
April 30 – WTA at Viroqua, Vernon Co. Board Room, 7:30 PM
May 5 - Town Road Tour, 7:30 AM
May 19 - Monthly Board Meeting, 7:00 PM
May 20 - Open Book, 3-6 PM
Board of Review, 7–9 PM
18. The Board convened into Closed Session under State Statute (19.85c)-considering employment, promotion, performance or compensation of a public employee at 8:30 PM.
8:45 PM - Reconvene into Open Session—Motion by Bader, seconded by Young to extend employment to Randy Volden through June 12, 2009 @ $12/hr. and 32 hrs per week while Jody Wirts has requested time off to put in his crops. Motion carried.
18. Adjourn: Arnold moved to adjourn, seconded by Bader. Meeting adjourned.
Submitted by: Ole Yttri, Clerk ______________________ Date: April 21, 2009_
E10614 State Road 82
La Farge, WI 54639
Phone: (608) 625-4568
Send Us an Email
Town of Webster
E10978 State Road 82
La Farge, WI 54639